Archive for the ‘quilts’ Category

doll quilt swap 10

April 14, 2011

dqs10

Finished up Doll Quilt Swap 10 recently. I was in such a rush to get mine sent off by the international deadline that I didn’t get any photos snapped of the scarf & fat quarter that I sent along with the quilt, but I did get a few shots of the awesome miniature quilt magnets and the pincushion that my partner sent to me.  This is the 2nd miniature quilt I’ve received geared towards my cat lady status.

What I sent is above, what I received is below.

dqs10

Advertisements

robot love

March 18, 2011

There have been many hand- made robots for my husband over the past few years, but this mini quilt is my current favorite.

valentine's robot quilt valentine's robot quilt

Made as a Valentine’s Day gift for the mister, I used Kona solids, a few Jay McCarroll prints and  and scraps from the scrap bin. It’s machine-pieced and machine-quilted. There a loops on the back and it will hang on a dowel on the wall in the game room with the rest of the robots.

valentine's robot quilt

And in other quilty-news, I received the most awesome mini quilt and fabric bucket from the Urban Home Goods swap and I got my 3×6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee blocks sent out.

Urban Home Goods swap - received 3x6 blocks

Urban Home Goods swap

March 11, 2011

The Urban Home Goods Swap goodies that I sent out Monday should have been received by my swap partner by now, so here are some details of the projects.  The main item requested was a sewing machine cover, and since I love my own so much, I felt it necessary to comply.  After a bit of Flickr stalking, and the swap notes, I felt pretty comfortable with my choice of mini bunting.  The green and turquoise are from a Stitch in Dye charm pack and the orange solid and yellow polka dots were in my scrap bin.  It’s backed with a textured teal solid that came from my grandmother’s attic stash, so I’m assume it’s somewhat vintage. I zigzag stitched in white because I didn’t want to detract too much from the flag shapes. My favorite part is little section of bunting fabric that I added to the binding.

sewing machine cover

sewing machine cover

sewing machine cover

The second item was a circular knitting needle case.  I looked around for a while before finding a design that I really liked.  I knew I could sew up a case pretty easily, but I really wanted to try something a little different.  That’s where Splityarn’s  Circular Needle Case tutorial comes in.   I really liked the idea of tearing up a thrift store book  – I think this was a book on economics.  After removing the book’s guts, I covered the book boards with the same linen blend I’d used for the main project.  The stripe is a Kaffe Fassett print (Plink in Rust) coordinated with the same teal I used for the machine cover backing.  The actual knitting needle holder part is off-white duck cloth and cotton elastic.

circular needle casecircular needle case

I couldn’t resist throwing in a few dpn sleeves or pouches.  I’m not sure where I got the idea, but here is a great tutorial.

dpn sleeves

I had a lot of fun figuring out what to make and working on these projects.  I usually do with Flickr swaps.  And it seems like the deadline of swaps is the only thing that really helps me finish up projects these days.  Our house right now is filled with half-finished projects, particularly of the quilting variety. There’s   a coin quilt, a strip quilt a t-shirt quilt, a quilt using Wonderland, and several mini quilts that I can think of just off the top of my head that I languishing in the sewing room.  In fact, the only one that even has been turned in to a quilt sandwich is the t-shirt quilt, which I have stupidly decided to hand quilt.

placemat quilt swap

November 16, 2010

The 6 mini quilts I made for the Placemat Quilt Swap have been received, so I can finally post photographs.   My swap partner was the organizer of the vintage sheet swap I’d just participated in, so we agreed to use vintage linens as the bulk of our placemats.  This was a really fun project to work on and I managed to mostly use materials from my stash.  The only thing new I bought was some Kona cotton for the binding.  The backing is a fine wale corduroy, if you can’t tell from the photo.  I’m not a floral-loving person, never have been, but I’ve been collecting awesome vintage sheets since college, so it’s nice to use them in projects.

placemat quilts

woe is me…

September 3, 2010

Our air conditioner still isn’t fixed, so quick bursts is the only way I’ve been able to get anything done on the sewing machine.  I have managed  to finish piecing the top for my Doll Quilt Swap 9 quilt and get a tiny bit started on the back. Here’s hoping I’m able to sweat it out just a bit longer to get this baby quilted & bound by the deadline.

doll quilt swap - top

Also used some vintage sheet scraps (& this great tutorial) to whip up a table runner for our embarrassingly cluttered dining room table.  In my eagerness to get all the sewing machine portions completed, I forgot to quilt it before sewing on the binding. No worries, that gave me a great excuse to hand-quilt/embroider while sitting on the couch in front of the window unit we broke down and installed. It’s looking fairly happy on the coffee table,  and since the dining room table probably won’t be uncluttered anytime in the immediate future, I’m leaving it there.

img 480

While both these projects are fun & colorful and make me super happy, my most favorite project from the past week is oh-so-devoid of color – we’ve finally worked up the nerve to tackle our wood-paneled-disgustingly-striped dining room walls.  We’ve broken it into 2 phases and are only painting 2 walls at a time, but we’re half-way and have a 3-day weekend to finish the other 2 walls.  I can’t wait until we’re done and I can finally start decorating the room.

goodbye stripes!