The sewing room door usually stays closed thanks to a certain cord-chewing floofy cat, but sometimes I’ll leave it open when I’m in there working on something. Alonzo joined me for quite a while this weekend while I did the bulk of the piecing for my 3×6 mini bee swap. No thanks to the cats, I did manage to pull together all the finishing touches for my Urban Home Goods Swap goodies, and they’re on their way to the west coast.
Archive for the ‘cats’ Category
Nope, I didn’t get sucked into a worm hole, I just got lazy. So, let’s play a little catch up.
- The dogs were very bad. I’m pretty sure they were trying to break me.
- Took a 2 week road trip to see my folks in South Carolina and the boy’s grandma in southern Georgia.
- Visited my living grandparents. Met my brother’s bulldog, Belle. Met Austin’s grandma. Ate a lot of low country bbq.
- Only took 1 photo the entire trip – in Thomasville, GA.
- Embroidered and sewed 2 doll quilts for my SILS – beets & unicorns. Finished the granny squares for the holiday garland that I never assembled.
- Went to sleep extremely early on New Year’s Eve. It was so nice to be in our own bed again.
- Joined a gym. I both hate it and love it.
- Adopted a new kitty. He’s 9 months old and his name is Alonzo. He & Nitro get along really well.
- Joined Stash Pact 2011, but I already fell of the wagon and bought some Lizzy Dish.
- Hosted an Axis Powers themed dinner party / book club meeting at our house where we paired sausage & kraut with sushi. It was delicious.
- Signed up for 3 quilting/sewing swaps – 3×6 Mini Bee, Urban Home Goods & Doll Quilt Swap 10.
- Sandwiched and basted a t-shirt quilt I started this past spring. I’m hand quilting it while watching tv.
This will probably be the last cat-centric post for a while. We sent the last of the kittens to a new home yesterday. I was sad for an hour or so, especially since the last one was the black one and black kitties will always be extra adorable and special to me. But then I got excited about all the love and attention they’ll get in their new homes and about the prospect of fostering litters somewhat regularly. I’m not sure if the mister shares my excitement about the latter, though.
They were each sent off with some toys and a small blanket I sewed for them their first week here. While an overflowing sewing room can be frustrating, it was nice to be able to whip these up with scraps stuffed in various drawers and bins.
This past week has mostly been about mending and creating utilitarian items for around the house, including knitted washcloths and dishrags. It’s nice to work through a few quick projects before I cast on for my first ever shawl.
It’s National Cat Day, so what better day to introduce you to this little heavenly creatures that we’ll be sharing our space with for the next few weeks or months while they ready themselves for the rest of their lives.
They were born to a feral mama kitty, so we’re making sure to give them lots of human time, including cuddles and play to be sure they make lovable pets. They seem pretty healthy, but since we haven’t taken them to the vet yet, we’re keeping them isolated from our older babies. Today is bath day and this weekend we’re going to try a first introduction to the dogs. It’s exciting to see how much their little personalities have developed in less than 2 days.
They have their own Flickr set, which I am sure to update regularly.