Archive for March, 2011

robot love

March 18, 2011

There have been many hand- made robots for my husband over the past few years, but this mini quilt is my current favorite.

valentine's robot quilt valentine's robot quilt

Made as a Valentine’s Day gift for the mister, I used Kona solids, a few Jay McCarroll prints and  and scraps from the scrap bin. It’s machine-pieced and machine-quilted. There a loops on the back and it will hang on a dowel on the wall in the game room with the rest of the robots.

valentine's robot quilt

And in other quilty-news, I received the most awesome mini quilt and fabric bucket from the Urban Home Goods swap and I got my 3×6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee blocks sent out.

Urban Home Goods swap - received 3x6 blocks


Urban Home Goods swap

March 11, 2011

The Urban Home Goods Swap goodies that I sent out Monday should have been received by my swap partner by now, so here are some details of the projects.  The main item requested was a sewing machine cover, and since I love my own so much, I felt it necessary to comply.  After a bit of Flickr stalking, and the swap notes, I felt pretty comfortable with my choice of mini bunting.  The green and turquoise are from a Stitch in Dye charm pack and the orange solid and yellow polka dots were in my scrap bin.  It’s backed with a textured teal solid that came from my grandmother’s attic stash, so I’m assume it’s somewhat vintage. I zigzag stitched in white because I didn’t want to detract too much from the flag shapes. My favorite part is little section of bunting fabric that I added to the binding.

sewing machine cover

sewing machine cover

sewing machine cover

The second item was a circular knitting needle case.  I looked around for a while before finding a design that I really liked.  I knew I could sew up a case pretty easily, but I really wanted to try something a little different.  That’s where Splityarn’s  Circular Needle Case tutorial comes in.   I really liked the idea of tearing up a thrift store book  – I think this was a book on economics.  After removing the book’s guts, I covered the book boards with the same linen blend I’d used for the main project.  The stripe is a Kaffe Fassett print (Plink in Rust) coordinated with the same teal I used for the machine cover backing.  The actual knitting needle holder part is off-white duck cloth and cotton elastic.

circular needle casecircular needle case

I couldn’t resist throwing in a few dpn sleeves or pouches.  I’m not sure where I got the idea, but here is a great tutorial.

dpn sleeves

I had a lot of fun figuring out what to make and working on these projects.  I usually do with Flickr swaps.  And it seems like the deadline of swaps is the only thing that really helps me finish up projects these days.  Our house right now is filled with half-finished projects, particularly of the quilting variety. There’s   a coin quilt, a strip quilt a t-shirt quilt, a quilt using Wonderland, and several mini quilts that I can think of just off the top of my head that I languishing in the sewing room.  In fact, the only one that even has been turned in to a quilt sandwich is the t-shirt quilt, which I have stupidly decided to hand quilt.

sewing with cats

March 8, 2011

alonzo in the craftroom

The sewing room door usually stays closed thanks to a certain cord-chewing floofy cat, but sometimes I’ll leave it open when I’m in there working on something. Alonzo joined me for quite a while this weekend while I did the bulk of the piecing for my 3×6 mini bee swap. No thanks to the cats, I did manage to pull together all the finishing touches for my Urban Home Goods Swap goodies, and they’re on their way to the west coast.

UHG set